Monday, December 11, 2006

Baby boom in China; Year of the Golden Pig (any investment opportunities?)



The year 2007 is one of the special "Year of the Pig" that comes around every 60 years. Having a child is this special year is apparently very lucky, and this seems to NOT have gone unnoticed. (In China anyways)

I have read several reports that indicate that China expects a bump in the birth rate of 20% this coming year, and at least part of it is the hope of the Golden Pig year. (general prosperity is of course another reason)

So the obvious question that pops into my mind is "How can I invest to take advantage of that?"

Well, I don't know that I have enough of a cultural knowledge of China to truely know the answer, and it is always dangerous to reflect the values and characteristics of the USA on any other place in the world. I also would not like to guess how this would play out in say 5 to 10 years when these "Golden Pig" kids are growing....that's kind of a long term investment to me.

I'd be interested in your thoughts. I'm thinking that besides the normal baby related clothing or toy stuff that the thing to consider is perhaps entertainment or education. I'm not sure how the Chinese version of Disney will go over, but with this sort of baby boom and an ever increasing wealth there, I would think that spending more of their new family members might NOT be just an American trait, but perhaps a normal human reaction.

Maybe 20% increase isn't enough to cause any noticeable difference, but I suspect it is. What do you think? (this guy thinks "golden pigs" are the way to go)

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home