Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Do I really support the "How Many Legislators Does it Take to Change a Lightbulb Act"?


I am a user of compact flourecents in a big way. I believe every light bulb in our house are CFL.

But what I saw reported today in this news story made the hairs on the back of my back stand up.

Apparently the State of California is looking at passing legislation to outlaw standard incandecent lightbulbs. They want to make everyone buy CFL.

As I said, I think that using CFL is a great thing, as whitnessed by my own usage.....but I really don't like the government telling be what is good for me.

I agree that changing my underware every day is good....but do we need a law for that? Don't get me going on seatbelts....I wear them and have since about 1976 when I got my license.

I think our economy, and in fact society in general operates best when things are "pulled" rather than "pushed". Yes, there are larger projects that would be too difficult to muster the needed grassroots support for to make them happen.....but let me use my brain and give me some sense of freedom.

If California is considering this, how far behind can Massachusetts be?

Labels: , , ,