Monday, June 18, 2007

Retirement worries of my neighbors (even BEFORE the spoke to me)


I went over a neighbors house to help with a cable modem problem last Saturday and they asked me about my money BLOG.

I told them it was a bit out of date, but I tried to explain what I was trying to write about and why.

They told me they were interested because they were worried about their future, and their retirement savings in particular.

First of all, they were recently told that their pension plan had no been closed and investments capped. Their pie was not going to be growing as promised.....they were told to expect a lot less from their pension when the retire.

They already know about the delayed retirement from Social Security...and these people are about my age. (I'm 48 and I think they are 50)

Our discussion went to other topics....including what sort of work they should suggest their daughter(s) look into....and we all drew a blank there. It's not that things will be that bad, but that it just isn't clear what will be outsourced next!

They work at a hospital, which we thought was always a safe industry....I mean how can you outsource medical care...right?

Check out the articles on Medical Tourism.......and it will not stop there. Right now the insurance companies are using the carrot to get people to do it...but once all the worlds hospitals are certified under the same standards.....insurance companies will have cart blanch to sent people all over the world in order to save a buck!

Oh well....I suppose we are told this is progress. I just need to reassure myself:
This is progress....
This is progress....
This is progress....
This is progress....
This is progress....
This is progress....
This is progress....
This is progress....
This is progress....
This is progress....


Ok....much better now......

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home